THE National Examinations Council, (NECO) says it has postponed the 2019 National Common Entrance Examination into unity schools.
The Council said the shift in the date of the examination was to give states with low registration of candidates the opportunity to register for the examination.
In a statement by its Head, Information and Public Relations Division, Azeez Sani, the examination which was initially scheduled on Saturday April 13, will now hold on April 27, 2019.
Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, in a weekly briefing in Abuja, told journalists that the postponement become necessary due to request from over seven states of the federation that have requested for an extension of time to enable them to enroll more candidates.
“It is on record that some of the states have less than 200 applicants who have enrolled for the examination. Such states may not be able to fill their quota if they are not given the opportunity to enrol more candidates,” Adamu said.
Meanwhile, NECO has disclosed that a total of 70,720 candidates have so far registered for the examination.
The examination body further advised candidates who registered for the examination to download the new examination time-table from the Council’s website.